Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Delicious as a salad or as a dip. If' you've no Harissa in the house you can always substitute with 1 teaspoon paprika mixed with 1 teaspoon ground coriander and a good pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons argan oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 -3 large ripe tomatoes, pleeled and chopped to a pulp
- 1 -2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon harissa
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, the juice of
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam eggplant cubes for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Tip onto a cutting board and mash with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottom pan and cook the cumin seeds and garlic 1-2 minutes until the seeds become fragrant. Add the tomatoes, sugar, Harissa, and half the parsley. Cook 15-20 minutes over a low heat stirring occasionally until the mixturere resembles a thick sauce. Stir in the lemon juice and mashed eggplant. Stir until combined and heated through. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Let mixture come to room temperature. Garnish with the remaining chopped parsley.