Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is popular meal from Zagreb. There are some disputes about weather egg should be in it or not, but going through literature I have found that it is 50-50% chance to find egg. So, it is going to be an egg in it. I think positive. Of course you can do it without egg.
- 700 g veal (4 large schnitzels)
- 60 g ham (cooked smoked farmer's ham)
- 60 g gouda cheese or 60 g swiss cheese
- 2 eggs (cooked)
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 150 g flour
- 3 eggs
- 50 g salt
- 1 lemon
- Beat veal steaks to make them thin.
- Cut cooked eggs into halves. Slice ham and cheese.
- Salt steaks from inside and put slice of ham, slice of cheese and ½ egg on one side of steak. Cover with other side to make it look like a pocket. Beat the ends of the steak to close them.
- Whisk 3 eggs like you are making omelet. Put them into flour, than eggs, than breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry steaks until golden on both sides (you may use half lard half oil mixture, it is much better).
- Cut lemon into slices and serve with steaks. We usually eat the steaks with French fry potato.
This was really a sensational dish. Not very difficult... I veered a little from this recipe... I rubbed the steaks with some garlic and rolled them up, secured with a few toothpicks after crumbing them. I omitted the cooked eggs. After preparing it,, put in the fridge to set the breadcrumbs. I will definitely make this again.