Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Marsala, a Sicilian fortified wine, is traditionally used to flavor zabaglione, a light dessert custard. In this recipe, rum is added for a more intense flavor. Can't wait to try this recipe.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons dry marsala
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk yolks and sugar in medium bowl until thick, about 2 minutes. Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture bubbles at edges.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until custard leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across and temperature registers 170°F, about 6 minutes.
- Immediately pour custard through sieve set over another medium bowl. Stir Marsala, rum, and vanilla into custard. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Process custard in ice cream maker. Transfer gelato to container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.).