Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Traditional Breakfast stew
- 1 beef tongue
- 1 sheep tongue
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 -4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 500 g mushrooms
- 100 g butter
- 200 g parsley (ends) or 200 g coriander (ends) or 200 g dill (ends) or 200 g spring onions (ends)
- black pepper
- Tongue is very tasty but takes a long time to cook.
- Wash the tongue(s) carefully.
- Add hot water and bring to a boil.
- Remove the foam that accumulates on top.
- Peel garlic cloves and onions, then slice them thinly.
- Wash herbs and chop them finely.
- Add garlic, onions, and herbs to tongue and cook over low heat for 4-5 hours, adding more hot water during cooking if necessary.
- Salt and black pepper should be added near the end of cooking.
- When tongue is cooked, there should be about one cup of water left.
- Remove tongue and peel the skin while still warm.
- Allow to cool, then cut into thin slices using a sharp knife.
- Wash and slice mushrooms, then fry in butter for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and tongue-juice and bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Serve tongue with mushrooms and some fresh parsley.
- If desired, pooreh-yeh Seeb-Zamini or Polow can also be served with tongue.