Recipe by Pesto lover
This is a very useful spice blend for Middle Eastern Dishes. I have also found it to be good on cooked pasta, mixed with some olive oil, toasted pine nuts and olives. Also good on a bagel with cream cheese and then za'atar sprinkled on top. Try it on bruschetta with chopped tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar mixed up and then sprinkle with the za'atar - delish!
Top Review by zeldaz51
This is very close to the recipe I use, which has a bit less sesame. Try it rubbed under the skin of a roasting chicken, it's great! Also good on pita, salads, hummus, and vegetable dishes.
- 4 tablespoons ground sumac
- 2 tablespoons whole thyme
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground marjoram
- 1 teaspoon savory (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt