Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
A savory Middle Eastern spice mix, zaatar typically includes sesame seeds, thyme, marjoram, and sumac, that was sent to me by my sister from Zamouri Spice. The spice can be found at Middle Eastern markets or gourmet shops. It is usually sprinkled on pita bread and coupled with strained labneh (yogurt). We served these to some visiting DR's and was enjoyed by all! Sunset Magazine was where I found these great recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for rolling pastry dough
- 1⁄2 lb chilled puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons za'atar spice mix
- 1 egg, whisked with
- 2 tablespoons water
GARLICKY YOGURT DIP
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt or 1 cup labneh
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- MAKE GARLICKY YOGURT DIP:.
- Take garlic and salt, and mash to a paste against cutting board with the flat side of a large knife.
- Ina a serving bowl mix garlic mash with thick yogurt or labneh and stir in parsley.
- MAKE STRAWS:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Flour a work surface and a rolling pin.
- Set puff pastry on surface, sprinkle lightly with flour, and roll out into a rectangle about 8x12"x1/8"thick.
- Arrange pastry so that it's horizontal and trim edges even.
- Brush pastry all over with olive oil.
- Sprinkle left half of pastry liberally with half of the zaatar and fold right (unsprinkled) pastry half over zaatar, like closing a book.
- Lightly sprinkle top of pastry with flour and roll back out into a rectangle almost as large as the one you began with.
- As before, brush pastry with olive oil, sprinkle half with remaining zaatar, and fold unsprinkled half over zaatar.
- Roll with the pin a few times to seal.
- With a sharp knife, cut pastry lengthwise into 1/3" strips.
- Twist each strip loosely a couple of times and put on an ungreased baking sheet (push ends onto sheet to keep straw from untwisting; you may need 2 sheets).
- Dab tops of strips lightly with egg wash.
- Bake straws until medium golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool 1 minute, then loosen gently from sheet with spatula.
- Serve warm or cool, with Garlicky Yogurt Dip.