Prep 3 mins
Cook 0 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. Lemony from sumac, grassy from thyme and oregano, nutty from sesame... perfect served with olive oil and bread for dipping. Sumac powder is available at Greek grocers and online; in a pinch, most people substitute lemon zest, but sumac is not as tart.
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Store in airtight container.
This was great. It was used to make Za'atar Bread Rolls (Manaiesh Bi Za'atar). The bread was a hit with guests yesterday evening. So simple and used things I keep on hand.
Very nice Zahtar! Usually I toast the sesame seeds, and I have to admit that I prefer that, but this is quite a nice change. Thanks for sharing :)
Made for Visit Jordan/ Kuwait - N*A*M*E forum