Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Oven roasted wings (or thighs) with a sprinkle of this and a sprinkle of that -- and at the end drizzled with honey and lemon! YUM! :) For easy cleanup, roast wings on parchment paper -- look for za'atar spice mix at international markets or specialty grocery stores! :)
Top Review by zeldaz51
This works out really well on the grill, using boneless thighs. We buy za'atar by the bag and this seemed like a great opportunity to use some up on about 1 1/2 pounds of thighs. We mixed 2 tablespoons of za'atar with 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. cayenne, and added 1 tsp. smoked paprika, put the mixed rub on the meat, and let it sit in the fridge a couple of hours before grilling. The honey and lemon mixture at the end is wonderful, not too sweet. Don't apply it until then, as it would likely burn. The rub and glaze would be wonderful on almost anything you grill, especially pork.
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper (a little or a lot ~ you control the heat!)
- za'atar spice mix (dried thyme, marjoram or oregano, sumac, sesame seeds)
- 21 chicken wings (whole, or a mixture of flats and drummettes ~ or about 3.5 lbs thighs)
- 1⁄2 large lemon (juiced and seeds removed)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken wing (or thigh) pieces on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet with sides.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken wing pieces LIGHTLY with salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper ~ and LIBERALLY with the za'atar spice mix to suit your tastes!
- Oven roast chicken wing (or thigh) pieces for 30 minutes at 375F ~ TURN PIECES OVER and continue roasting for another 25-30 minutes.
- Combine the juice from 1/2 of a large lemon with 1/4 cup honey and drizzle over chicken pieces ~ turn wings and drizzle other side.
- Roast wings (or thighs) for 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove wings (or thighs) from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.
- Supply lots of napkins!