Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the Za'atar Spice Mix I get in our local oriental store. It contains more spices than usual za'atar and reminds me a bit of dukka. Like a mix of za'atar and dukka, and I like it very much.
- 1⁄2 cup thyme
- 1⁄4 cup sumac
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon anise
- 1 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon almonds, blanched
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, plus
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- In a dry pan toast 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, almonds and sunflower seeds.
- When slightly toasted, remove from pan into a bowl to cool, toast the additional tablespoon sesame seeds, too, and let cool on a seperate plate.
- Put coriander, anise, fennel and cumin into the pan and toast until fragrant.
- Remove from pan into another bowl, let cool.
- When seeds and spices are completely cooled, put all except the additional tablespoon sesame seeds, thyme, sumac and salt into spice grinder (or coffee grinder or food processor), grind until halfway powdery, then add sea salt, thyme and sumac and just give it one more whizz to blend.
- Add in the additional tablespoon whole sesame seeds, blend with a wire whisk.
- Store in an airtight container.
Oh man. This is stupendous! Loved, loved everything about this. And I never knew you could make this just like that. Just happened to have some sumac, and all the other ingredients ~ and man, I could of just keep eating this spice - YUM! I loved the extended version, and this was right on! I did leave some fennel seeds whole, and ground some too. It's so pretty!! :) Loved it! Made for ZWT6 Zee Zesties!