1/7 Photos of Za'atar Bread Rolls (Manaiesh Bi Za'atar)
1 hr 10 mins
From the cookbook Mediterranean Dishes by Diane Seed. Za'atar (or zahtar) is easy to make and several good recipes are found on this site. I have used an automatic bread machine to prepare the dough. This yields a light textured bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces tepid water (more or less depending on your bread machine and or or the type of flour you use)
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons za'atar spice mix, to taste (homemade is best)
- 1MANUAL: Dissolve the yeast in 3 tablespoons tepid water. Next add the egg, 4 tablespoons olive oil and the sugar. In large bowl combine the flour and salt. Gradually stir in the yeast mixture and add the tepid water, enough to make a dough ball. On a floured surface, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Put dough in an oversized bag and allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. *Proceed with recipe where indicated.
- 2BREAD MACHINE: Add all ingredients to the bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions EXCEPT for the za'atar and add ONLY 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Once dough is done, remove from bread pan and place dough in an oversized plastic bag in a bowl. Allow to proof in a warm area for about 45 minutes.
- 3*Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 4Divide the dough into six pieces. On a floured cutting board shape each piece of dough to form an oblong.
- 5Arrange the oblongs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic (cling) wrap and leave for 15 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the za'atar. Brush the mixture evenly over each bread loaf, pressing gently into the dough making "dimple" patterns with your fingers.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes. While waiting for bread to bake, belly dance.
- 8Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Za'atar Bread Rolls (Manaiesh Bi Za'atar)
Serving Size: 1 (791 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.2
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 790.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix