Recipe by Mirj
A very Middle Eastern spice mix, I use it in almost everything that has even a hint of the Mediterranean. Sprinkle this over a plate of hummous, dip some pita in olive oil and za'atar, have some lemonade with mint and you're in paradise.
Top Review by Angela Sara
Please, please try this! It's delicious. I make it without the onions and put it in a small dish on its own next to another small dish with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. A Pile of fresh bread,(pitta bread, french bread anything you like)and dip a torn off piece of bread into the oil and then into the za'atar and eat! Swish it down with a cup of tea. Superb snack!
- 1⁄2 cup dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup sumaq
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup dehydrated onion
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the sesame seeds on a small sheet pan or pie plate and toast for 6 minutes.
- Combine thyme, sumac, salt, dehydrated onions and sesame seeds and grind into a fine powder in a spice mill.
- (This may require 2 batches.) Store in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 months.