Recipe by Bone Man
Great fake mashed potatoes, the recipe having been generated with the aid of the shrewd advice and sage counsel of my fellow Zaarites! If you don't care for garlic, just nix the garlic powder. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kitsmomma
This was better than the boxed flakes directions, but still had the institutional flavor. OK, I'll take the blame...I couldn't find dry buttermilk, so I used 1/3 cup buttermilk and the rest with 2% milk (don't buy whole milk). also I didn't have chicken bouillion granules , so I used a whole cube. I was doubtful about 3 tbsp mayo, but added it anyway. The family still ate it up, and I prefer it over the recipe on the box. I'll keep on the look out for dry buttermilk, because I think this would make a difference in the flavor. Overall , very ,very creamy potatoes!
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 cups potato flakes (box-type, I use Chef Karlin brand)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk, warmed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Ignore package direction on potato flakes box.
- In a small mixing bowl, using a fork, mix the buttermilk powder into the warmed milk. Set aside.
- Bring to a boil the following ingredients: water, butter, salt, bouillon powder, and garlic powder (if using). Once the liquid boils, remove from heat and add the dry potato flakes and stir. Slowly add the milk and stir until desired consistency is achieved (I use all the milk).
- Stir in the pepper and the mayonnaise.
- Serve with gravy.