Recipe by Mme M
Called ajlouk in Tunisia. Make this a little in advance, so the flavors blend well. If you can't find harissa, add 1 tsp paprika and a good pinch of cayenne.
Top Review by Chef Kate
This was an interesting flavor but the texture was a bit off-putting for me. And even with the red of the tomatoes, once they cooked into a sauce and were mixed with the eggplant, the result was a sort of thick paste. It seemed less a salad and more a sort of sauce or condiment.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs aubergines, peeled and cubed
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 large beef tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bunch parsley, flat leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the aubergines and the garlic in a pan of boiling, salted water for 30 minutes or until they are very soft.
- Drain, then chop the aubergines with the garlic in a colander, mashing down with a fork, pressing all the water out.
- Put the tomatoes into the emptied pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, or until reduced to a thck sauce. Stir it occasionally.
- Mix with aubergines and the rest of the ingredients.
- Season to taste.