Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chef: Kevan Ward Restaurant: Z'Tejas Grill
- 1 (7 ounce) catfish fillets, blackened
- 2 7-inch flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon shredded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon shredded cabbage
- 1 fresh lime, juice of (for juice to squeeze over the vegetables)
- 4 slices avocados, 1/8 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup fried corn tortilla strips
Shallot Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sambol chili paste
Jalapeno Mayonnaise use 1 tablespoon
- 1 large jalapeno, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or similar red pepper sauce of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup herdez chipotle pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 quart mayonnaise
- Instructions for the dipping sauce: Mix all ingredients in food processor or blender.
- Instructions for the jalapeno mayonnaise: Using a handheld mixer, puree all ingredients together.
- Instructions for the fish:.
- Cut blackened catfish lengthwise and saute with 1 ounce shallot ginger dipping sauce until hot.
- Heat flour tortilla in dry skillet.
- On heated flour tortillas, spread 1 tablespoon jalapeno mayonnaise, corn tortilla strips, avocado slices and carrot-cucumber slaw and a sprinkling of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Top with heated strips of blackened catfish.
- Roll tight and cut into 4 pieces; serve with shallot ginger dipping sauce on the side.