1/1 Photo of Z Tejas Dos XX's Pork Carnitas
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From the Phoenix Arizona newspaper courtesy of Chef Marc Janiec of Z'Tejas Grill
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the pork, water, orange juice, achiote, beer, bay leaves, ancho chilies, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan.
- 2Place pan over low heat; cook about 1 hour or just until the meat is about to fall apart.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a sheet pan; let cool slightly.
- 4Drain the juices from the pork; reserve for later use.
- 5Discard the onions and remaining solids in the roasting pan.
- 6In a large saucepan, heat corn oil to about 350 degrees (Caution: Make sure there is at least 6 inches of room between the top of the pan and the oil, otherwise, the oil could boil over).
- 7Being careful not to burn the meat, slowly and carefully add the chunks of meat to the hot oil; fry until crispy.
- 8Using a slotted spoon, place the meat in the reserved sauce.
- 9Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in a 300-degree oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Z Tejas Dos XX's Pork Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (853 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 921.1
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 224.5 mg
- Sodium 3760.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 66.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: