Prep1 hr 15 mins
From the Phoenix Arizona newspaper courtesy of Chef Marc Janiec of Z'Tejas Grill
Make and share this Z Tejas Dos XX's Pork Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- Place the pork, water, orange juice, achiote, beer, bay leaves, ancho chilies, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan.
- Place pan over low heat; cook about 1 hour or just until the meat is about to fall apart.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a sheet pan; let cool slightly.
- Drain the juices from the pork; reserve for later use.
- Discard the onions and remaining solids in the roasting pan.
- In a large saucepan, heat corn oil to about 350 degrees (Caution: Make sure there is at least 6 inches of room between the top of the pan and the oil, otherwise, the oil could boil over).
- Being careful not to burn the meat, slowly and carefully add the chunks of meat to the hot oil; fry until crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the meat in the reserved sauce.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in a 300-degree oven for 30 minutes.