Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Phoenix Arizona newspaper courtesy of Chef Marc Janiec of Z'Tejas Grill
Make and share this Z Tejas Dos XX's Pork Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- Place the pork, water, orange juice, achiote, beer, bay leaves, ancho chilies, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan.
- Place pan over low heat; cook about 1 hour or just until the meat is about to fall apart.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a sheet pan; let cool slightly.
- Drain the juices from the pork; reserve for later use.
- Discard the onions and remaining solids in the roasting pan.
- In a large saucepan, heat corn oil to about 350 degrees (Caution: Make sure there is at least 6 inches of room between the top of the pan and the oil, otherwise, the oil could boil over).
- Being careful not to burn the meat, slowly and carefully add the chunks of meat to the hot oil; fry until crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the meat in the reserved sauce.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in a 300-degree oven for 30 minutes.
We enjoyed this. I wouldn't have thought to put orange juice & beer in with the pork. That was very good. I used the full amount of achiote powder. However, since we just started using annatto seeds, I think next time, I will cut it with chili powder. It will be a bit closer to what we're used to. Thank you very much for sharing. By the way, I put this in the crock pot & it worked wonderfully.