- 3⁄4 lb white onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 gallon water
- 6 ounces beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet (brown sauce seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- salt and pepper
- cornstarch, to thicken slightly
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan sauté onions in oil on low heat until they begin to caramelize.
- Deglaze onions with cider vinegar and puree using a kitchen blender.
- Return pureed onions to pan and add beef stock.
- Simmer for 30 minutes skimming off any excess foam.
- Add honey and Kitchen Bouquet and reduce to 5 cups.
- Mix 1 Tbs. cornstarch with 2 Tbs. water and add to sauce.
- Let simmer for one minute.
- Check the seasonings, add salt and pepper if necessary.