Very traditional Swiss meal. Adapted from Betty Bossi. You can also add about 200g of calf's kidney, instead of some of the veal, but I don't like it so I omit it.
- Sauté the veal in a little (extra) butter briefly until browned, season with salt and pepper, and drain on paper towels. Don't overcook the meat - it should just be browned on the surface at this point since it will cook more in the sauce.
- Add butter to the pan you sautéed the meat in, and cook the onion until transparent. Add the mushrooms and sauté. Add the flour. Add a pinch of dried thyme (optional).
- Add the wine and cook down rapidly over high heat. Add the meat back. (If the wine is too mellow, add a little lemon juice).
- Dissolve the cornflour in the cream, and add this to the pan, stir and let bubble just until the meat is cooked but still tender.
- Take off the heat and adjust the seasoning. Serve with plain rice, buttered rice, boiled potatoes, pasta, or (most traditionally) with rösti or knöpfli (spaezle).