Recipe by PanNan
This recipe is a specialty of Zurich. It is typically served with rosti (Swiss hashbrowns).
Top Review by elise6185
Wow! This was delicious! I'd never had veal before, but it was on sale at my grocery store, and I couldn't pass it up. It was a bit tough cutting up the veal, but it was worth the work. I did make some substitutions for ingredients I didn't have: a veal shoulder chop instead of cutlets, half & half for the cream (added a little extra butter to boost it up), oregano for the sage (I don't use sage often enough to have it on hand regularly), and chicken broth for the wine. Other than those few things, I followed the recipe exactly. I served it on cooked rotini, as I did not have time to make the rosti. I plan to make this recipe again, though, and I will definitely make the rosti next time.
I think I could eat the sauce, onions, garlic, and mushrooms on just about anything. As good as the veal was, that part of the dish was even better. I'll probably have dreams of it tonight!
- 2 lbs veal cutlets, sliced into 3/4 in strips
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 15 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and coat well. Heat half of both the butter and oil in a frying pan. As soon as the butter foams, add the meat and brown it very quickly on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the rest of the butter and oil to the pan and sauté the onion, garlic and sage for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms. Stir well and when the mushrooms start to soften, continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape away any crust that has formed. Add the veal and cook, stirring, until the wine has evaporated. Turn the heat down to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and at the last moment, add the cream, let it bubble for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and serve.