Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother came up with this recipe. It's super good. It freezes beautifully so it's a great make ahead dish.
- 6 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia, Maui or Walla Walla)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons white wine or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 pie crust (bottom only 8 or 9 inches)
- Slice the onions thickly.
- Cook in butter until soft and the liquid is absorbed and onions are lightly browned.
- Add salt.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix Bisquick, eggs, milk and wine.
- Combine well.
- Blend in cheese and then cooled onion mixture.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 40- 45 minutes or until set and golden on top, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.