Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Food markets in Yunnan, China are a part of daily life. At night, stalls line the streets selling just about anything edible on a stick. After you’ve selected a handful, the vendors will grill the skewers over coals while you wait. These grilled vegetables make a delicious snack or appetizer. Feel free to try veggies other than the ones listed.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 re-hydrated red chilies, deseeded
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 scallions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- bamboo skewer, soaked overnight in water
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- sesame oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Saute in a pan over medium high heat for about 6 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cut vegetables into 6 inch chunky strips and skewer with bamboo skewers. Brush with sesame oil and grill over hot coals until veggies are cooked through and skin begins to blister. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve with a side of dipping sauce.