Recipe by Sharon123
When I saw the ingredients for the RSC contest(Feb. 2010), this came to mind. I love the lemon zest in this and the smoked paprika is so good! This recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Great tasting deviled eggs, & something a bit different from what I usually make, which is all to the good, I thought! I liked the addition of cream cheese & the only thing I changed was to increase the amount of lemon zest ~ Absolutely love that stuff! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Made & reviewed in Every Day Is a Holiday tag]
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (plus 1 tsp. if desired, to make it just a tiny bit creamier)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese (neufchatel)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard (whole grain is good)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, grated small
- 1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- green onion, slices (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with lukewarm water.
- Add the white vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a full boil over medium heat,then boil for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover with a lid.
- Let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and run under very cold water to cool them down. Place eggs in ice water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and peel.
- Remove yolks from egg whites carefully and mash with a fork in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, cream cheese, mustard, vinegar, lemon zest, green onion, salt and pepper. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Spoon(or pipe) into egg whites and sprinkle smoked paprika generously over the tops.
- If you like, place a little green onion slices on top of eggs. Enjoy!