Recipe by Simply Chris
Moist and delicious cake that everyone loves! This version uses whole wheat pastry flour, egg substitute,canola oil and applesauce to cut down on the "bad" carbs and "bad" fat. I've served this version which is based upon a recipe in the Low Fat Living cookbook for the past 4 years and have always been complimented. My "old" recipe used regular flour, a lot more vegetable oil and had pineapple in it, but this is just as tasty.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup fat free egg substitute
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 13 x 9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix well.
- In a large bbowl combine the applesauce, oil, brown sugar, egg substitute, carrots and orange rind.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted int the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.