Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I made this tonight and we thought it was great. Even my 20-month old daughter LOVED it and that's saying something. I know a lot of people want more whole foods in their diet but have no clue what to do with them. Whole grains can get pretty intimidating. This is a healthy, whole grain recipe that's easy as can be. I've listed the fruit and nuts at the end as optional because this is good with or without those ingredients. I like it without. You can also add some grilled chicken or shrimp and make it an entree. Let your mood dictate how you make it. :) Also, I entered this under the Kid Pleaser category only because my picky 20-month old loved this so much! :D
- 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 bouillon cubes (I use chicken but you can use veggie broth to make vegetarian)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped (I chop mine pretty small)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped (I also chop this very small for my toddler)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped (can use regular mushrooms or Portobello caps instead)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 gala apples, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Rinse the wheat berries.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan and dissolve the bouillon cubes.
- Add the rinsed wheat berries and cover.
- Return to boil then reduce heat to simmer for 45 to 50 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and grains are firm yet chewy.
- In a large skillet,heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in the garlic and carrots, cooking 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until their released liquid has evaporated--about 10 minutes.
- Push the veggies off to the side and use the free space in the skillet to scramble the beaten eggs.
- Stir in the cooked wheat berries, pepper, onion salt and any OPTIONAL items you're going to add.
- Cook 2 or 3 more minutes to heat through.