Recipe by ginsaqt
I finally learned to make bread! I've tried a few recipes and came up with this mishmash of a couple of them.
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 3 -4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mixed barley or 1 cup sunflower seeds or 1 cup rolled oats (mixed, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening (butter flavored is great)
- 2 packages yeast (or 2 scant Tbsp.)
- 2 1⁄4 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the water and yeast together in a separate bowl.
- Let sit about 10 minutes.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, grain, sugar, salt and shortening in a large bowl.
- Stir the water-yeast mixture into the dry ingredients for one minute.
- Add remaining all-purpose flour a little at a time to keep dough easier to handle.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- As you knead, add more flour if necessary to obtain correct texture.
- Clean mixing bowl, grease and place the dough in the bowl.
- Turn it once to have greased side up.
- Cover and let rise until double (40-60 min.).
- Punch dough down and divide into two equal amounts.
- Shape each halve into a loaf shape and set in greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise again until double (30-50 min.).
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place loaf pans in center of oven with space between the pans to allow heat to move freely.
- Bake until golden brown on top and loaf makes a hollow sound when tapped- approx.
- 30 min.
- Remove bread from pans, cool completely on wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Makes 2 loaves.