1/3 Photos of Yummy W. S. Clam Chowder
Bonnie G #2's Note:
I know there are a lot of clam chowder recipes posted, but found this one in a William Sonoma magazine and it looks so good with the addition of pancetta. Haven't made it yet, but plan to soon and want it here for safe keeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs littleneck clams, rinsed well
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 1Shuck clams, reserve juices, add water to total 5 cups. Coarsely chop clam meat.
- 2In large pot over medium heat, sauté pancetta.
- 3Pour off all but 1 Tbs fat; melt butter.
- 4Add onion, celery, garlic and thyme; cook for 3-5 minutes.
- 5Add flour, cook 1 minute more.
- 6Add potatoes, bay leaves and clam juice-water mixture and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat, simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 8Stir in cream, Worcestershire, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- 9Using fork, lightly mash potatoes against side of pot.
- 10Add clams, cook 2 minutes.
- 11Ladle into bowls, garnish with chives and serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy W. S. Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.4
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 154.3 mg
- Sodium 2087.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 53.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: