Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know there are a lot of clam chowder recipes posted, but found this one in a William Sonoma magazine and it looks so good with the addition of pancetta. Haven't made it yet, but plan to soon and want it here for safe keeping.
- 6 lbs littleneck clams, rinsed well
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Shuck clams, reserve juices, add water to total 5 cups. Coarsely chop clam meat.
- In large pot over medium heat, sauté pancetta.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbs fat; melt butter.
- Add onion, celery, garlic and thyme; cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour, cook 1 minute more.
- Add potatoes, bay leaves and clam juice-water mixture and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream, Worcestershire, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Using fork, lightly mash potatoes against side of pot.
- Add clams, cook 2 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with chives and serve.
Mixed reviews here...I gave it a 5 and hubby rated it a 3...he didn't care for the brown color...and the taste of ham...(pancetta)...he said he preferred bacon and more milk...(half an half or cream)...but he did eat his bowl full of the chowder...=)
Really good bowl of chowder! First time for me using pancetta in chowder, and it is a really nice change from bacon. Liked the pinch of cayenne also! Will be making this version again! Made for Spring 2012 Pick a Chef game.