Recipe by Maito
You can also add eggplant or zucchini, if you desire. I have even used buffalo or venison in place of the turkey, and it makes it even better!
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey, very lean (optional)
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning or 2 teaspoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin or 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of (optional)
- nonfat plain yogurt or sour cream
- baked corn tortilla chips
- irish cheddar cheese
- blue cheese (for the adventurous!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook meat and taco seasoning according to package directions.
- While meat is cooking, begin sauteing the vegetables. Start with the onions, then add the carrots, bell pepper, and garlic.
- After 5-10 minutes, add the cumin, oregano, fennel seeds, and cayenne pepper to taste. Then add the wine, beans, tomatoes, corn, meat, and lemon zest (if using).
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Taste for proper seasoning, and serve with desired toppings.