Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
---Created for RSC#9, this was fun to make while experimenting with my family's tastes the whole time! We all ended up liking it very much. Have all your vegies prepped beforehand to make the recipe more fluid and easy to prepare. NOTE: You can start out with 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes for the sambal. If you use the sambal, you might want to start with 1 tablespoon and go on from there to your taste, this was pretty spicy!------
- 12 ounces wide rice noodles, prepared as package directs for pasta, boiled, not soaked
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten, set aside
- 1 medium white onion, chopped coarse
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thin sliced on the bias
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 chicken breast, cut into julienne sized strips
- 3⁄4 lb medium prawns, deveined and shelled
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄3 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 15 ounces straw mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 bunch scallion, white part, cut on bias, for topping
- In large wok, mix and simmer 2 tablespoons red curry paste and peanut oil for 2 minutes, add chopped onion and saute over medium heat 4 minutes.
- Add chicken strips and saute, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add sliced carrots and continue to stir and saute 4 minutes.
- add broccoli florets, stir and saute three minutes more and add drained mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, lightly beat eggs and scramble well in small pan and set aside.
- Boil rice stix for 6 minutes, until just done to the bite; drain.
- In large bowl, whisk together: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 cup light coconut milk, the brown sugar, peanut butter, 1-2 tablespoons sambal, 1/2 cup water. Pour into wok.
- Add shrimp and bring to simmer, stirring, until shrimp are just cooked through, opaque, and not in tight circles.
- Gently stir in scrambled eggs.
- Drain rice noodles, add to wok, and toss all with tongs or stir with wooden spoon till well mixed. Add sliced scallions, toss. Serve!
This was very yummy. I added extra vegetables, and only used 1 T of sriracha since my curry paste has a real kick. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 9, Gourmet Goddesses.
I enjoyed this very much, although I confess I was cautious with adding extra 'heat' since my husband struggles with it. I loved that sweet spicy flavour, for me this is fabulous mix! I had to sub zucchini for the broccoli, hope you dont mind, I felt it worked very well, and I used a thin fettucine instead of rice sticks. Enjoyed very much, for ZWT9 Family Picks, Pink Panthers, thank you!
This was a good noodle dish. The red curry paste made it very spicy, even without the sambal. The type of rice noodles they sell in our stores cook in about 1 minute. I tripled the broccoli, and followed Susie's lead and added a red pepper. Also garnished with cilantro. I thought it seemed like it might be too much liquid, but it was fine after adding the noodles. Portions were generous.