Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Topped with melted pepper jelly, these cornmeal waffles have some kick! These were a winner in the B H & G pancakes and waffles catagory! Entered by Linda Traylor, Rome, Ga.(April 1995).
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, chopped small
- 118.29 ml green bell pepper, chopped small
- 118.29 ml green onion, sliced thin
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml whole wheat flour (or use all white flour)
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 226.79 g carton plain yogurt (or try whipped cream cheese)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 0 margarine, melted (or butter)
- jalapeno jelly, melted
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, cook red pepper, green pepper, and green onion in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until crisp tender, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat eggs slightly with a whisk or fork. Beat in yogurt, milk, and melted margarine or butter. Add egg mixutre to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. gently fold in pepper mixutre.
- Pour 1-1 1/4 cups of batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle maker(don't overfill). Close lid quickly; do not open during baking. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When waffle is done, use a fork to lift it off the grid. Keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, making sure you grease the griddle again.
- If the batter thickens on standing, you may need to thin it with a little milk.
- To serve, top with melted jalapeno jelly and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.