Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Topped with melted pepper jelly, these cornmeal waffles have some kick! These were a winner in the B H & G pancakes and waffles catagory! Entered by Linda Traylor, Rome, Ga.(April 1995).
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (or use all white flour)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt (or try whipped cream cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 margarine, melted (or butter)
- jalapeno jelly, melted
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, cook red pepper, green pepper, and green onion in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until crisp tender, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flours, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat eggs slightly with a whisk or fork. Beat in yogurt, milk, and melted margarine or butter. Add egg mixutre to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. gently fold in pepper mixutre.
- Pour 1-1 1/4 cups of batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle maker(don't overfill). Close lid quickly; do not open during baking. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When waffle is done, use a fork to lift it off the grid. Keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, making sure you grease the griddle again.
- If the batter thickens on standing, you may need to thin it with a little milk.
- To serve, top with melted jalapeno jelly and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
these are really good they really fluff up and i liked them alot
Definately a waffle that is a nice change of pace. Since daughter was at school, and DS was at work, I made this for my son and I. Used white flour as an option, and also included the yogurt, but the winner was the jalapeno jelly. Never had a waffle as creative as this before and was a nice treat this morning. Made for PRMR tag..