1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my favorite Faye Levy recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs small eggplants or 2 medium eggplants
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Meat and rice stuffing
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1Cut the stem ends from the eggplants.
- 2Halve the eggplants lengthwise.
- 3Peel if desired; if the eggplant is fresh, there is no need to peel it.
- 4Use a spoon to scoop out the centers, leaving boat-shaped shells.
- 5Keep the flesh you scooped out to add to the stuffing.
- 6Sprinkle the shells with salt.
- 7Put them in a colander upside down and leave to drain for 1/2 hour.
- 8Preheat oven to 425 degrees C.
- 9Prepare the stuffing: Add the rice to 3 cups boiling salted water and boil for 10 minutes until not quite tender.
- 10Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
- 11Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook over low heat until soft but not brown.
- 12Leave to cool.
- 13Mix with the beef, parsley, cumin, turmeric and almonds.
- 14Chop the flesh removed from the eggplant.
- 15Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add the chopped eggplant and sprinkle with salt.
- 16Saute over medium-low heat, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 17Leave to cool and mix with the stuffing.
- 18Taste for seasoning; if you prefer not to taste a mixture that contains raw beef, broil or microwave a teaspoon of the mixture and taste it for seasoning.
- 19Rinse the eggplant shells, pat them dry and put them in a baking dish.
- 20Fill them with the stuffing.
- 21Mix the tomato paste with 1/4 cup water and spoon the mixture over the eggplant.
- 22Add enough water to the dish to cover the eggplant by one third.
- 23Add the garlic to the dish.
- 24Spoon 1 tablespoon oil over the eggplant.
- 25Cover and bake 15 minutes.
- 26Reduce the heat to 350 F and continue baking, covered, 15 more minutes.
- 27Uncover and bake, basting occasionally, 30 minutes or until the eggplant is very tender.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy Stuffed Eggplant with Meat and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.9
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 78.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 16.0 g