Recipe by amievv821
This a delicious quick fix when I have no meat in the house, and can't find anything to eat. I keep all of the ingredients on hand. Give it a try!!! *Note* This recipe is very forgiving feel free to substitute!!! (I use whatever is on hand)
Top Review by evewitch
This was really easy to do. I used the ketchup (which I never would have thought of using!). I also used the tomatoes. I added cooked brown rice - stirred it in. Not sure if anyone was really excited about it, because there was a lot left, but I think it was pretty good.
- 1⁄4 onion, diced
- 1⁄4 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 2 -3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- cooked white rice or brown rice
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, tomato paste. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add black beans, mix to combine. Add chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until most of liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve over rice topped with a dollop of low-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped green onions. YUM!