This a delicious quick fix when I have no meat in the house, and can't find anything to eat. I keep all of the ingredients on hand. Give it a try!!! *Note* This recipe is very forgiving feel free to substitute!!! (I use whatever is on hand)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 2 -3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- cooked white rice or brown rice
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- 2Add onions and peppers and saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- 3Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, tomato paste. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- 4Add black beans, mix to combine. Add chicken broth.
- 5Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until most of liquid has been absorbed.
- 6Serve over rice topped with a dollop of low-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped green onions. YUM!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy, Spicy Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.9
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2046.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 19.5 g