Recipe by HappyBunny
I absolutely love this recipe because it only has six ingredients but tastes divine. It's from the BBC Good Food magazine's Dec 2003 issue. I've made it about half a dozen times and my husband licks his plate everytime!!! I tend to add a little more stock and wine as I prefer more gravy but I've written the proportions as they were in the magazine.
Top Review by Darkhunter
We absolutely love this recipe, too. Wonderful flavor. We had it over mashed sweet potato. Ummmmm! Goes into the menu rotation, for sure! Followed the instructions as written, except for adding additional wine and stock as suggested by HappyBunny. Thnx so much for posting this yummy dish. Made for Fall 2008 My-3=Chefs.
- 1 kg braising steak
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 300 ml red wine
- 300 ml stock
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into bite size pieces and tip into a large food bag with the flour and some salt and pepper.
- Give the bag a good shake, making sure the beef is well coated.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan.
- Add the beef and fry until evenly browned.
- Remove to a plate.
- You can do this in two batches if you prefer.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the pan and add the onions.
- Fry for 5 minutes until they're slightly brown.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the wine and stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring well to scrape up the juices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- NOTE: I only add pepper at this stage because my stock is pretty salty.
- Reduce the heat, cover tightly with a lid and cook at a gentle simmer for one and a half hours until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the cranberry sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Simmer it for a few minutes and serve with a huge dollop of creamy mashed potatoes.
- Happy Cooking!