Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My DH loves simple food that takes him back to his childhood. I concocted this salmon casserole and he and Jr absolutely love it. It's not dietetic, but then ... life's too short, right? A lot of this recipe is "touch and go", ie, don't like/have the ingredient? Use something else, instead.
- 1 lb canned pink salmon, flaked
- 1 3⁄4 cups salmon liquid (mixture of salmon liquid and milk)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons cooking spray, as needed
- 1⁄8 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced celery
- 1 -2 cup crushed potato chips or 1 -2 cup crackers or 1 -2 cup corn flakes
- 2 cups cooked peas, drained
- 4 hardboiled egg, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- cheddar cheese, grated,to taste
- Heat oven to 350.
- You'll also need a 2 quart casserole- make that 3 if you want, my 2 quart was filled pretty high.
- Melt butter/spray and saute onion and celery till partially tender.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper, garlic powder.
- (I didn't add salt because salmon is salty and you'll be adding chips, too).
- Slowly add liquid while stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Fold flaked salmon into sauce.
- You may also add cheese here, if you want.
- Grease your casserole dish and sprinkle bottom with 1/3 of chips or crackers, add 1/3 of salmon mixture, 1 cup of peas and 1 layer of egg.
- Finish with last third of salmon mixture and top with chips, (I did add another layer of egg too, and probably cheese, then topped with the chips).
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired and paprika.
- Bake covered at 350 for 20-30 minutes till bubbling- you may want to remove the cover for a browned look towards the end.
- Serve hot!