Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe in the mail a couple of years ago. This recipe originally called for bread crumbs, but I use stove top stuffing mix. My DH is very much a meat and potatoes guy, and this recipe is always a winner. It goes very well with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes. Enjoy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup mashed cornbread stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat broiler.
- line a broiler pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine beef, egg, stuffing crumbs, salt, pepper and worscestershire sauce in bowl, then shape into four oval patties.
- Place patties onto foil lined pan and palce in broilerBroil patties until they are no longer pink,turning atleast once.
- This take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While patties are broiling, over medium heat, melt butter in large skillet.
- Saute onions until they are translucent in color.
- (This usually takes about 5 minutes).
- Once translucent Sprinkle in flour.
- Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir broth into onion skillet.
- Cook sauce until sauce thickens, stirring constantly (about 3-4 minutes).
- Stir in parsley.
- Pour onion gravy mixture over patties and serve immediately.
- Helpful hint: You can make patties ahead of time and freeze in freezer bags.
- (stack between pieces of waxed paper or siran wrap).
Yum! We really enjoyed this for dinner. Perfect with mashed potatoes. Gravy is chock-full of onions but isn't gloppy or heavy like other recipes. Until now I never found a Salisbury Steak recipe I actually wanted to eat, the cream-of versions are blech. Used organic beef broth and added some salt, but suspect this recipe is based on a 10 oz. can of Campbell's condensed beef broth which would be saltier. Used fresh parsley. Made the patties on the stovetop only because I had a cake in the oven, but it worked very well. Quick and easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
We make our meatloaf with corn bread stuffing mix,love the taste!! I'm going to make some of these patties up this week end for quick work-night meals. Thank you!