Recipe by Gothamunchis
I got this recipe in the mail a couple of years ago. This recipe originally called for bread crumbs, but I use stove top stuffing mix. My DH is very much a meat and potatoes guy, and this recipe is always a winner. It goes very well with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes. Enjoy.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yum! We really enjoyed this for dinner. Perfect with mashed potatoes. Gravy is chock-full of onions but isn't gloppy or heavy like other recipes. Until now I never found a Salisbury Steak recipe I actually wanted to eat, the cream-of versions are blech. Used organic beef broth and added some salt, but suspect this recipe is based on a 10 oz. can of Campbell's condensed beef broth which would be saltier. Used fresh parsley. Made the patties on the stovetop only because I had a cake in the oven, but it worked very well. Quick and easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup mashed cornbread stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- line a broiler pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine beef, egg, stuffing crumbs, salt, pepper and worscestershire sauce in bowl, then shape into four oval patties.
- Place patties onto foil lined pan and palce in broilerBroil patties until they are no longer pink,turning atleast once.
- This take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While patties are broiling, over medium heat, melt butter in large skillet.
- Saute onions until they are translucent in color.
- (This usually takes about 5 minutes).
- Once translucent Sprinkle in flour.
- Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir broth into onion skillet.
- Cook sauce until sauce thickens, stirring constantly (about 3-4 minutes).
- Stir in parsley.
- Pour onion gravy mixture over patties and serve immediately.
- Helpful hint: You can make patties ahead of time and freeze in freezer bags.
- (stack between pieces of waxed paper or siran wrap).