This recipe came from one of my wonderful Canadian girl friends - it's so quick and easy and these are great for quick company stopping in for a cuppa. Freeze well and give you that home-made feeling without a lot of fuss. (I 1/2'd the salt as per recommend - I think when I traded the sugar for Splenda it probably didn't counteract the salt as well)
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 -6 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 3⁄4 cup milk, cold
- 1 cup raisins (I soak them in hot water so they are moist after baking. Also works well with Craisins or currents)
- Pre-heat oven to 450*.
- Soak raisins in hot water so they are moist for baking.
- Mix first five ingredients, cut in butter until it is pea sized.
- Add milk, stir to combine (don't over mix), dough will come together when kneaded.
- Drain raisins and stir until combined.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times.
- Roll to 3/4" thickness, cut with biscuit cutter. 2" cutter makes 15 biscuits.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with splenda (or sugar).
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes.