Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
For dessert, snacks or even breakfast...these pumpkin cookies offer a delicious way to sneak in veggies. Made with canned pumpkin, a single cookie is an excellent source of vitamin A. As a snack, spoon frozen yogurt between two softies for a delicious frozen desert "sandwich”!
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- nonstick cooking spray
- raisins, dried cranberries, sliced or slivered almonds, peanuts, chopped dried plums or apricot
- Preheat the oven to 350°F In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until creamy. Add pumpkin and eggs; beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; stir into pumpkin mixture, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Drop dough onto prepared pans by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls. If desired, smooth tops of the dough with the back of a spoon and decorate with dried fruits or nuts. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.