Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Inspired by SAMS_Club's Ultimate Pizza Sauce. I made a version more suited to our tastes and our metric kitchen.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plain)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 5 big onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1200 g chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 150 g tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 7 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, melt the margarine and oil. Add onions and saute. After a couple of minutes, add the garlic. Let everything go a bit soft and shiny.
- Add tomato ingredients.
- Add everything except the bay leaves and parmesan and stir well. Bring to a simmer and lay the bay leaves on top. Simmer for an hour or more, until the sauce is thick.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the parmesan cheese.
- (Our favorite dough for the pizza is herbed pizza dough - my recipe or chef Texas mom's).