Recipe by chef Honeybear48a
Basmati rice flavored with onions, carrots, raisins and potatoes. My mother asked and was given this recipe from a restaurant that has since gone out of business. She made it only a few times due to it being so labor intensive. I enjoy the extra time I put into this recipe because it is well worth it. After making it once, you will see it is quicker to make the next time. Good luck and enjoy.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 raw carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Soak rice in salted water (enough to cover) overnight.
- 2. Put rice in a pot and cover with boiling water. Cover rice and simmer until rice is soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. In a smaller pot saute onions and carrots in 2 Tbs. of oil until soft. Add raisins and cook 2 minutes more.
- 4. Put 2 Tbs. of oil in a 4 court ovenproof dish. Place potatoes in a single layer on the oil. Spoon half of the rice over the potatoes. Spread saute'd mixture over rice and finish off with the rest of the rice.
- 5. Sprinkle last 2 Tbs. of oil over the rice cover with a paper towel and cover that with a tight fitting lid (or seal with aluminum foil).
- 6 Bake in a 350F oven for 30-45 minutes. Be careful that it doesn't burn.
- 7. Mix rice together with potatoes and veggies and serve.
- Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/members/subm/editr2?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/members/subm/editr2?oc=linkback</a>.