Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I haven't made this yet, but I plan to soon! This is from Real Simple Magazine and the picture looks terrific!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Butter a casserole or 9 x 13 inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Cook macaroni until almost tender but still firm, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes. The mixture will clump together.
- Still stirring constantly, add the milk slowly.
- Cook for 7 minutes. Add the Cheddar and the remaining salt and cook, stirring, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and combine.
- Transfer to the baking dish and top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake until golden and bubbling slightly around the edges, about 25 minutes.
Nice mac and cheese. Very mild flavor. You could probably spice it up anyway you wanted. I used penne instead of elbow b/c I didn't have enough elbows. I also used a bit more cheese. I'm not sure how much b/c I didn't measure. Easy to put together. Mine baked in about 17minutes. Watch it b/c it can bubble over all over your oven.