A friend brought these to a picnic. After one taste of the warm-from-the-oven cookie, I knew I had to have the recipe. These are now the most requested cookie by my family. The recipe makes a HUGE batch of big cookies, but they do freeze very well. The 5 dozen amount is a guess, I've never counted! We love these and hope you will too!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together, using a stand mixer: butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Blend well.
- Blend 2 1/2 cups of the oatmeal in a food processor or blender.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together: flour, all of the oatmeal (2 1/2 cups processed and 2 1/2 cups whole), salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry mixture, on low - a bit at a time, to the wet ingredients and blend together until fully incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and blend in on low. (Add nuts here, too, if you want.).
- Scoop balls onto cookie sheets, spaced a few inches apart. I like to make them about 1 inch balls.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Get the gallon of milk ready!