Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
It's winter right now and snow on the ground. Warm comforting dishes are what I'm craving! Here's one from the episode Vegetarian Italian, recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis. This is a great Italian dish!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing the grill pan
- 4 -6 portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces (or margarine)
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on the grill to prevent the mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the basil and oregano to the marinara sauce, stirring to combine.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place the grilled mushrooms on top of the marinara sauce and top with the remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with the cheeses and top with the butter pieces. Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Delicious! I made this for two using two very large mushrooms. I kept the amount of sauce as written, though, as I wanted some extra sauce to serve with the ravioli I prepared for a side. I grilled on the gas grill. Very easy dish to put together and will try it during non-grilling season on the Foreman. Made for a great meatless dinner. Made for Grilling Tag game at Kittencalskitchen.com