Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Stick to you insides, warm and delightful to the palate. Fall and winter are not complete without a bowl of this soup!
- 1⁄8 lb butter
- 1⁄8 cup oil
- 1 lb pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 9 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 bunches large carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 4 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 bunch scallion, sliced
- Chop onion, celery, and carrots in small pieces.
- Melt butter and oil; saute vegetables and garlic until onions are soft.
- Add barley, salt, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until barley is 3/4 done.
- This is approximately 20 minutes after boiling starts.
- Add mushrooms and parsley.
- Cook 20 minutes and add soy sauce, cayenne pepper, and scallions.
- Taste for more seasoning.
- Will absorb a lot of liquid; adjust seasoning if more liquid is added.
- Allow to cool slightly.
yummy! I left out the scallions because I didn't have any in the house but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. mine came out a bit too salty but that was probably because my chicken broth was saltier than I thought, so I added a whole potato to absorb the salt and it was perfect! will definitely make again.
This is a delicious filling soup. I used veggie broth to keep it vegetarian, skipped the scallions & parsley, and adjusted some of the other ingredients to make a batch that kept my husband and me in lunches for the work week. Here's what I used: 1 large onion, 2 garlic cloves, 3 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 lb. barley, 9 cups broth, 1 T salt, 10 oz mushrooms, 2 T soy sauce, black pepper to taste. I'll make this often!
I made this for lunch yesterday and it was excellent! I made as posted andt the flavors all meld together nicely. It makes a large pot of soup that warmed us up on a chilly fall day. Thanks for posting!