Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
These cabbage rolls are unique because they have scrumptious meatballs inside. Give them a try!
- 1 large head of cabbage, cored
- 24 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- Cook cabbage in boiling water only until the outer leaves fall off the head, about 3 minutes.
- Remove cabbage from water and removed as many leaves as will come off easily.
- Reserve 14-16 large leaves for rolls. Return cabbage to water if more leaves are needed.
- Remove the thick vein from each leaf.
- In a bowl, combine 8 oz. of tomato sauce, onion, rice, chili powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Crumble beef over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into 2 inch balls.
- Place one meatball on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides.
- Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose meatball.
- Secure with toothpicks. Place in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over rolls; cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and cabbage is tender. Discard toothpicks.