This is a great way to use up any left-over mashed potatoes....goes wonderful with any meal....just mix and bake, so easy to prepare.
- 3 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes (hot or cold, can use a little less)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (or to taste, or use 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (see note) (optional)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-in square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes with cream cheese, onion, eggs and flour.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended, then at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with canned onions.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- NOTE: if the potatoes don't already have butter mixed in with them, add 3 tbsp melted butter, along with all the other ingredients.