Recipe by Chef Joyous
Excellent "comfort" food, that everyone loves especially on a cold evening! I have also used it as a side dish with much smaller portions.
- 1 (20 ounce) package macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Aunt Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 ounces processed cheese, cubed (i.e.Velveeta 2%)
- 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare macaroni using package instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and saute onion.
- Add flour, stirring constantly.
- When mixture thickens add milk, salt, paprika and cheese.
- Stir constantly until the sauce thickens but is smooth, resembling an extra thick cream.
- Mix in pasta coating with cheese mixture.
- Spray casserole dish with olive oil spray
- ( I use a 2.5 L pyrex pan)and pour in maccaroni.
- Cover with breadcrumbs to taste.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbling.
- Place under broiler for a few minutes to brown bread crumbs. Be careful not to burn!