Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I collect M & C recipes. So many good ones to be had...including this one!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked to al dente (cooled in ice water, and drained)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 3-4 quart baking dish. Melt 6 tbsp, butter in 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring constantly for one minute. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 14-16 minutes, whisking frequently. Whisk in sour cream, cream cheese, and salt. Return to simmer stage, remove from heat and add 1 1/4 cup each of cheeses, stirring to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine cooked macaroni and cheese sauce in large bowl. Stir in 2 cups of mozarrella. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Blend remaining cheese with fresh bread crumbs and sprinkle on top of macaroni and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until browned and bubbling. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.