Recipe by Absolutely Bananas
This is the best mac & cheese ever; a huge hit.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
For low fat this is definitely a 5! From his bachelor days, DH is used to the creaminess of Stouffers' frozen super fatty macaroni and cheese and said this needed more cheese, yet he did clean his plate in record time! I added extra paprika and lots of black pepper and thought it was wonderful - honestly I prefer this to Stouffers which is way too rich. Very easy and definitely yummy - one of my new favorites!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni (from about 2 cups dried)
- 1⁄4 cup corn flake crumbs or 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat 2 quart casserole with nonstick spray. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. stir in flour, mustard, paprika, and salt. slowly pour in milk, whisking continuously until there are no lumps in the flour. continue to stir with whisk, raise the heat, and cook until milk bubbles and thickens. Remove from stovetop and stir in sour cream, egg, and cheese.
- Toss macaroni and the cheese mixture together in a bowl and then pour it into the casserole. Top with the cornflake crumbs. Set in the oven and bake for 20 min, or until bubbling around edges.