Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yes, you read that right, low fat mac and cheese!!! So rich and creamy, but still way better for you than traditional mac and cheese. So easy it should be illegal.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 dash sriracha sauce or 1 dash hot sauce
- 2 cups boiling water
- Combine all ingredients except water in oven proof 2 quart casserole dish. Mix well.
- Pour boiling water over mixed ingredients.
- Bake at 350°F for an hour.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
My daughter loves Mac and Cheese but the normal recipe is quite unhealthy so I was glad to find this one. I don't put the butter in and I pre-cook the pasta until al-dente then mix it with the cottage cheese, sprinkle the mozzarella on top and bake for about 15-20 mins. I don't think I'll ever make the old-style mac and cheese again - thanks Meghan
I help disabled adults learn how to cook. I am always looking for healthy and easy recipes. Thank you so much. My clients loved the mac and cheese. I even used fat free cottage cheese, whole wheat pasta and 2 tbsp of olive oil (instead of butter), it turned out fantastic. I am making it tonight for my family. I know we will enjoy it.
This was not only delicious but so easy my husband could make it!! I also added sun-dried tomatoes and shallots, it came out great and I'm very glad for the leftovers!